Parents must attend a pre-baptismal prep class and sponsor certificates for the godparents must be received before scheduling a baptism. Baptisms are celebrated on the Second and Fourth Sundays of the month after the 11:00 a.m. Mass at 12:00 p.m. at St. Margaret Mary Church. Please call the parish office to register.
Regarding the Selection of Godparent:
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be a baptized Catholic who has been Confirmed and has already received the Holy Eucharist
- Cannot be the father or the mother of the person being baptized.
- If married, was married in accordance with the requirements of the Catholic Church.
- Must be a practicing Catholic and registered in a parish.
Given the functions and role a godparent/sponsor exercises, a non-Catholic Christian cannot be admitted as a godparent/sponsor; however, he or she can serve as a Christian witness(c. 874 §2). A person baptized as a Catholic who is now sacramentally or canonically ineligible to serve as a godparent may not serve as a Christian witness. These include those who subsequently renounced the faith in favor of another church community or entity. Those unbaptized and those whose Baptism is not recognized by the Catholic Church may not serve in the role of Christian witness but are welcome to be present at the ceremony.
|At least six months of preparation is necessary. Please call the office to schedule an appointment with the priest, 860-644-2411 ext. 109 Fr. Castro|