Confirmation Service Requirements
Along with forming a deeper interior faith, youth ministry in the Archdiocese of Hartford has the major goals of integrating young Catholics into the ongoing life of the parish and guiding young Catholics toward actively following Jesus Christ. The Confirmation Classes aim at the first goal, while the Confirmation Service Component aims at the second and third.
St. Junipero Serra Confirmation Candidates are required to volunteer for 10 hours 1st year and 15 hours 2nd year of community service. The two areas they may volunteer in involve the Life of the Parish and the Corporal Works of Mercy.
- Life of the Parish – Donut Sunday, Bingo, bulletins, Altar Server, Choir, Lector, Greeter, Usher, replace hymnals in pews, Bingo, decorate Church for holiday or wedding, serve at parish function, etc.
- Corporal Works of Mercy – Actively assist those suffering, outside Church walls.
- Feed the hungry/give drink to the thirsty – St. Vincent de Paul or other food drives.
- Shelter the homeless – go on parish trip to one of the homeless shelters, Habitat for Humanity.
- Clothe the naked – Assist a winter clothing drive.
- Visit the sick – helping seniors, spend time with someone homebound or in hospital.
- Bury the dead – make and send a card to the family of a deceased person. Spend time with widow(er).
- Visit the prisoners – probably wait until you’re older for this one.
DUE DATES: There will be 3 deadlines at which time approximately 5 hours should be completed by each deadline and hard copies of form handed in: Part 1: 11/19 Part 2: 1/28 Part 3: 3/21
Below is the ACCEPTABLE list of service hour activities, all other activities require permission from Sr. Karen:
- Communion Breakfasts
- Junipero Serra Children’s Bible Camp – July-10-14
- Youth Group Setups and Cleanups
- Tootsie Roll Drive (with Knights of Columbus)
- Decorating the Church at Christmas
- Stations of the Cross (during Lent)
- Parish Golf Tournament
- Parish Summer Picnic – setup, work during, cleanup
- Family Bingo
- Helping set up before and clean up after Catechism Classes, and WPC and Sacramental Sessions
- Spring or Fall Parish Cleanup
- Vincent De Paul Collections (monthly)
- East Hartford Family Shelter and Hartford Immacare shelter events & Service
- Harbor Chase and Residence senior activities – i.e. Games, Dances, Greeting cards, Crafts
- Prepare food for shelters
- Make food baskets or blessing bags for Homeless or those with food insecurities
- Help or participate in the parish Easter Egg Hunt or Nativity Play
- Help at local foodbank, pantry, or soup kitchen (with adult)
- Help elderly neighbor with task (un-paid and NOT a family member)
Any service hours completed in the summer before Confirmation classes can be included.
Up to 7 hours of service done at school or scouts will be accepted as long as it is a work of mercy or helps the poor in some way.
Helping with the Summer Vacation Bible School generally takes more than 10 hours. These can be applied to either the first year, second year, or split between but cannot account for the total 25-hour service requirement.
Note: All St. Junipero Serra sponsored events must have Virtus Certified adult(s) supervision.
PARENTAL/GUARDIAN CONSENT FORM AND LIABILITY WAIVER:
NOTE: All Church sponsored events with volunteers will follow strict Archdioceses guidelines. All events at Shelters and Senior Centers require participants to wear masks until further notice.
By signing up for a church sponsored activity, Parent agrees to the following:
I ask for and grant permission for my son/daughter to participate in an event that requires transportation to a location away from the parish. This activity will take place under the guidance and direction of employees and volunteers from the ARCHDIOCESE OF HARTFORD and St. Junipero Serra Parish.
While youth are responsible for his/her own behavior, as parent and/or legal guardian, I remain legally liable for any actions or damages made by the above named minor. I am aware that I will be called if my teen breaks any of the rules and has to be sent home. I agree on behalf of myself, my teen named herein, our heirs, successors, and assigns to hold harmless and defend the ARCHDIOCESE OF HARTFORD, St. Junipero Serra Parish, its officers, directors, agents, employees, representatives associated with this event from any and all liability claims, loss or damage arising from or in connection with my teen attending this event or in connection with any illness or injury or cost of medical treatment in connection therewith, and I agree to compensate the above named parish, and the ARCHDIOCESE OF HARTFORD, its officers, directors, agents, employees, or representatives associated with the event for reasonable attorney fees and expenses arising in connection therewith.
I hereby warrant that to the best of my knowledge, my teen is in good health and I assume all responsibility for his/her health. In the event of an emergency and I cannot be reached, I hereby give permission to transport my child to a hospital or medical facility and to seek medical attention. I give permission for the administration of non-prescription medication - throat lozenges or cough syrup - if deemed appropriate and if the situation is not life-threatening.